In June this year, ACM will celebrate 50 Years of the A.M. Turing Award, which recognizes major contributions of lasting importance in computing. Through the years, it has become the most prestigious award in the field, often referred to as the “Nobel Prize of computing.”
ACM will celebrate both the award and the visionaries who have received it with a conference on June 23 – 24, 2017 at the Westin St. Francis in San Francisco. ACM Turing laureates will join other award recipients and ACM experts in moderated panel discussions exploring how computing has evolved and where the field is headed. Panels include:
• Advances in Deep Neural Networks
• Moore’s Law is Really Dead: What’s Next?
• Quantum Computing: Far Away? Around the Corner? Or Maybe Both at the Same Time?
• Challenges in Ethics and Computing
• Augmented Reality: From Gaming to Cognitive Aids and Beyond
The program for the conference can be found at: http://www.acm.org/awards/turing-award-50-conference.
SigEVO is sponsoring four student members to attend the conference.
To be eligible, applicants must be
• a student registered at an accredited educational institution
• a student member of SigEVO as of April 14th. You join SigEVO at https://campus2.acm.org/public/qj/quickjoin/interim.cfm
• available to attend the event on June 23-24, 2017
Each scholarship includes:
• Guaranteed conference registration (registration is free, but spaces are limited)
• 2 nights at the Westin St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco (Thursday, Friday June 23-24, 2017)
• Up to $900 to help offset the cost of travel/subsistence.
To apply, please send:
• a short CV (up to 1 page)
• a short statement explaining why you should represent SigEVO at the event (up to ½ page)
• your ACM member number
• your previous relationship with SigEVO’s GECCO and FOGA conferences, such as attendances, published papers or posters, prizes won, etc.
Send your application by email to the SigEVO secretary, Jürgen Branke.
The deadline for applications is April 14th, 2017. Winners will be selected by the SigEVO Executive Committee and notified by April 21th, 2017.